Monday, August 25, 2014

WEEK 2

All three of my runs this week felt pretty good, but I was especially glad the long run went so well. Running in the morning truly does help!

Tuesday
Nutrition: None

My first run was at Greenlake. The outside path is around 3.2 mi long, while the inside path is 2.8. I still haven't decided which I like better. The outside path goes next to the road, which is a bummer, but there are so many less people and it has good views of the lake.
I generally choose the outside path, to get a longer run in. This one felt really well. I tried to keep my pace up the whole time, and was happy with my finish. It always amazes me how quickly the human body can adapt to change- two weeks into training and my three milers seem like no big deal.

Thursday
Nutrition: None

Thursday was supposed to be another 3 miler, but at a fast pace. Instead, I ran less than two miles of hills at Curtis's pace. As this was my last day at work, it was pretty, and I'm going to give myself a pass on the distance. I was working very hard for the same amount of time as a fast 3 miler, so I think it counts (right...?)

Sunday
Nutrition: 1/2 Clif shot before run, a tiny bit at 4.5 miles

My long run fell on Sunday this week, as I did a 7 mile hike on Friday with the puppy. I felt pretty darn good on the hike, but he got injured and has a limp out of it. So no running buddy for me for a bit.

Sunday I chose to go to Discovery park and run. There were a surprising number of people at the park for a morning, but I usually go on Saturdays so it must just be different. I saw a beautiful golden retriever puppy, and the breeze of sea water and fog off of the Sound proved for a cool run.

My goal for the long runs on this training set are to have "Mental Toughness". I struggle a lot on long runs to keep myself motivated, especially if I'm having low iron, and my goal throughout the next few weeks is to keep my head in the game.

I felt like I did a very good job on this one. I had to add a couple of miles to the standard Loop trail to get up to 5 miles, and opted to do some hills at the beginning. This probably wasn't the best idea, but it helped with my Mental Toughness! I was able to complete the run, plus an extra half mile, with only walking on the really steep uphills. My brain was with me almost all the time (except when i had to take some sugar at 4.5 mi) and it felt really good. I saw a lot of people out on the trail, and everyone was very friendly. Always good to run in the city!

Very excited for my runs this week, but more excited for my NEW JOB!

*Kelly*

No comments:

Post a Comment